The 12th Five Year Plan Document of the Planning Commission had laid a special emphasis on spreading out of skill-based programmes in higher education. It recommended setting up of Community Colleges (CC) to serve multiple needs including
- Career oriented education and skills to students interested in directly entering the workforce
- Training and education programmes for local employers
- High-touch remedial education for secondary school graduates not ready to enroll in traditional colleges, giving them a path to transfer to three or four year institutions
- General interest courses to the community for personal development and interest.
The Plan Document also stated that Community Colleges should be located to facilitate easy access to underprivileged students and such colleges could either be established as affiliated colleges of universities or as entirely autonomous institutions.
Above statements related with the views of Late Padmashri Dr. Vitthalrao Vikhe Patil and Late Padmabhushan Dr. Balasaheb Vikhe Patil, who always cared for the rural masses. In this respect, UGC sponsored community college affiliated to Savitribai Phule Pune University was established in the Padmashri Vikhe Patil College campus on 1st July, 2014.
Under this scheme two courses were introduced with an intake capacity of 50 each
Diploma in Sugar Industry and Processing (1 Year)
UGC implemented the scheme of Community College the year from 2014-15 on the initiative of the MHRD. Thereafter, realizing the importance and the necessity for developing skills among student and creating work ready manpower on large scale, the Commission decided to implement the scheme of Community Colleges as one of its independent schemes. Under this scheme, college started two courses. This scheme focuses on the sugarcane processing, production, marketing and by products of sugarcane. The main aim is to create trained and skilled workforce for the sugar industry sector.
Advanced Diploma in Dairy Science (2 Years)
UGC implemented the scheme of Community College the year from 2014-15 on the initiative of the MHRD. Thereafter, realizing the importance and the necessity for developing skills among student and creating work ready manpower on large scale, the Commission decided to implement the scheme of Community Colleges as one of its independent schemes. Under this scheme, college started two courses. Advance Diploma in Dairy Science. Dairy scienceÂ focuses on the farm management, production and manufacturing of allÂ dairyÂ products. The course provides knowledge of animal nutrition, reproduction, lactation and dairy business management and assist withÂ dairyÂ farm management or self entrepreneurs. This course will be helpful to the students who are basically from farmer community to produce a healthy dairy herd and develop self entrepreneurs.
The main objectives of the scheme were
- To make higher education relevant to the learner and the community
- Integrate relevant skills into the higher education system
- To provide skill based education to students currently pursuing higher education but actually interested in entering the workforce at the earliest opportunity.
- To provide employable and certifiable skills based on National Occupational Standards (NOSs) with necessary general education to Senior Secondary School pass-outs, with general education and /or vocational education background.
- To provide for up-gradation and certification of traditional / acquired skills of the learners irrespective of their age.
- To provide opportunities for community-based life-long learning by offering courses of general interest to the community for personal development and interest.
- To provide opportunity for vertical mobility to move to higher education in future
- To offer bridge courses to certificate holders of general / vocational education, so as to bring them at par with appropriate NSQF level.
- To provide entrepreneurial orientation along with required skill training for self-employment and entrepreneurship development.
- Students admitted to the course are also given industrial training by the industrial partners.
- Prabhat Diary Ltd. Shrirampur
- Nizarneshwar Dairy Products, Pravaranagar
- Padmashri Dr. Vitthalrao Vikhe Patil SahakariSakharKarkhana, Pravaranagar
- Shri Ganesh SahakariSakharKarkhana, Ganeshnagar
|Name of the Department||Programme|
|Dairy Science and Horticulture||Advance Diploma in Dairy Science|
|Chemistry||Diploma in Sugar Technology and Processing|