The department of Geography started since the establishment of the college in 1971. It has a devoted faculty, committed to the high standards of teaching. Both, theory and practical courses are being conducted in the department. The courses belong to either physical or human Geography. As a part of the practical course, the department organizes study tours at different places of Geographical interest in the country. The interdisciplinary courses being taught in the department. The department's commitment to basic and applied teaching encourages students to go for higher education as well as for Rresearch activities. Besides, Geography is one of the major subjects in various competitive examinations and hence, students find it useful to study for the preparation of the same. The department has two well-equipped laboratories and a staff room. Tracing tables, wall maps, surveying instruments, Survey of India toposheets, weather maps, charts, models, weather instruments, computer sets with internet facility and essential furniture is available in the UG and PG laboratories.
The departmental library has one hundred and eighty two books and issues of research journals viz. The Deccan Geographer and Maharashtra Bhoogolshastra Sanshodhan Patrika . The department offers a bachelor degree course (B.A., in Geography) at undergraduate level and master degree course (M.A. in Geography) at post-graduate level. The UG students can choose Geography as a special subject in the Second Year at UG level. Keeping in tune with the changing scenario in the field of education, the department has introduced a Career Oriented Course entitled Certificate Course in Travel and Tourism and Foundation Course in Moral Values. These courses are sponsored by UGC. Along with the conventional methods of teaching, LCD, OHP, geographical models, internet, maps, charts are used for making the teaching more effective. Village survey and industrial visits are organized to provide the practical knowledge to the students. Open discussions and feedbacks from the students provide further scope for upgradation. In addition to class room learning, tours, excursions, library, internet, seminars, guest lectures are the other means of learning in the department. The effective methods like group discussions, seminars, assessment of journals, tests, tutorials and tour reports are helpful to evaluate the students. In all three minor research projects sponsored by BCUD, SPPU, Pune and UGC, New Delhi are completed by the faculty.
Achievements of the Department
- State level seminars entitled, Recent Trends in Travel and Tourism and Resource Management and Sustainable Development (RMSD-2016) were organized by the department.
- Dr. N. M. Patil received a National level Shikshak Ratna Award on 29th May 2017 by Samata Sahitya Academy at Goa.
- Mr. R. S. Pawar is working as ANO, NCC, Maharashtra battalion at Ahmednagar.
- Mr. R. S. Bhadakwad is working as a N.S.S. Programme Officer.
- Dr. Nitinkumar M. Patil has worked as a Student Welfare Officer for six academic years from 2009-10 to 2014-15.
- Dr. D. J. Gadekar is working as an editor of Research Journal.
- Dr. N. M. Patil is elected as a member of Local Management Committee.