The English Department is operational since the establishment of the college i.e the year 1971. Initially English was taught as a compulsory subject for first year B.A., B.Com and BSc courses. English as a special subject was introduced in the year 1976. The post-graduate course i.e M.A. English was introduced in 1994. Various steps have been taken to develop the infrastructural facilities of the department. The department runs a vocational course Functional English to increase the employability of the students. This course is operational since 1994.
The department has a well-equipped Soft Skill Training Centre having 35 Lingua Phone machines. In addition, there are 21 computers for developing communication skills of the students. The departmental library is well equipped with reference books and it subscribes to 05 journals related to language, literature and ELT. The courses like Communication Skills in English and Preparation for Competitive Examination are taught under the restructuring programme. The department offers Special Guidance in English for weak students. It also offers a Career Oriented Course in Spoken English. The department runs Remedial and Bridge courses. At present there are five teachers in the department, who are actively engaged in research activities and consultancy, apart from the regular teaching activities.
Highlights of Department
- Organized Seminars, Conferences, Workshops at National and State Levels
- Completed two Minor Research Projects under UGC
- Communication Skills in English and Preparation for Competitive Examination are taught under Restructuring Programme
- UGC's Career Oriented Course in Spoken English
- Vocational Course (Functional English)at UG level
- Well-equipped Soft Skill Training Centre
- Remedial and Bridge Courses
- Special Guidance in English for weak students
- Skill Development Programme in Soft Skill for Base Line Staff
- Personality Development Programme